Monday, January 19, 2009

Laundry


I have done some thinking recently. I am now of the opinion that you can gain some deep insights into a persons soul by the way they fold laundry. Well, maybe not deep soulful ones, but I think you can glean something from looking at their freshly pressed clothes. I was looking at the difference between the way I fold my clothes as compared to my mother. My mom grew up on a farm, so she's used to work and has a good work ethic. And so on. She also tends not to be in a huge hurry unless she is about to be late for something. I, on the other hand, am always in a hurry to get everywhere except for the place that I work. I try to go slowly there. Unless I'm running late, then I zoom along as fast as humanly possible while still abiding by all of the traffic laws.

Our two different ways of living are self evident in our clothes-folding. Maybe thats the wrong time to use the phrase "self evident," but if you think I care you are sorely mistaken. My clothes, as if in tribute to my way of living, tend to look as if they were folded in two seconds flat. In fact, they probably were. They get wrinkles in them that I don't care about or notice until I put it on, and by then all that is left to do is some quick hand pressing and miracle hoping. Or I just throw on a sweatshirt and call it good.

My mom, on the other hand, folds clothes as if she plans to wear them. Silly mom, everyone knows you only wear clothes once. Or maybe not. Her clothes could be on display in a store window as a classic example of how to keep clothes looking nice. Well too bad, I'm always in a hurry. I couldn't possibly take the extra few seconds to make it look nice, now could I? Well I could but I doubt I could make mine look very nice. Maybe it is a talent you are born with. I think I'll tell her that next time she tries to get me to fold clothes. "Hey mom, why don't you do it, you're a natural clothes folder." I'm sure she would be extremely flattered.

No comments: