Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What, me? Why?



Please ignore the flashy sparkly rainbow. It is not a sign of anyone coming out of the proverbial closet. The picture fit my post. Get over it.


I've been asked by one of my avid readers to write a post about blogging itself. Okay that is fudging the truth, I doubt they are an avid reader. Unfortunately, they have the power to tell me what to do and I, humble as I am, must obey. If you don't care, move on. Consider this your warning, I'm protecting you from the boredom that may ensue if you read this. Also, I'm not sure which angle I'm supposed to take, whether it is a "Why I Blog" sort of thing or a "What is the purpose of a blog" type deal. I'm going to mix them up. So there.


Blogging is indeed an interesting concept. I'm not fully sure why anyone thought of it. I suppose it does save paper, but since when do important people that make important decisions really care about that. Plus it uses electricity, whereas writing on paper does not. This, though, is neither here nor there, and is not important.

I guess blogging was a revolutionary idea. People could spend some time writing whatever they want and publish it before anybody could criticize them on their use of words or lack of commas. In effect, it was instantaneous writing. Quite unheard of. Anybody could publish whatever they wanted, true or not, important or not-so-important, interesting or kill-me-please boring. It didn't matter, and it didn't matter who wrote it. Anyone could be heard, or rather read, and anyone could speak up. A very interesting idea...


But why do I blog? That is a more complicated question than one might think. I started off hating blogs and everything they stood for. They seemed like such a waste of time. But I did my best. Take a look at the first post, and try not to laugh. I was so proud of that painfully long post. Surely, I could handle this. Turns out the average post was supposed to be about 400 words, with a total of 1200 or so a week. Both of my first posts (which I had great affection for, bless them) added up to 400. This was going to be a problem.


Then one day I decided to write exclusively about songs I heard and liked. I would embed the youtube video, write some lyrics, and interpret the song. That turned out to be a disaster. Why on earth did I have to blog? I deplored my situation.

Then I decided I would just write about whatever I wanted to, whenever I wanted to. This turned out to be a much better idea. I came to the conclusion that blogging for a newspaper or something would be really quite hard. To think of something to write about every day, that actually had a purpose, would be difficult. I can manage my blog only because I write about the most random things possible, and I spend most of my time muttering to myself. Muttering takes up a lot of words, you know. I suppose the only reason I actually have people that read my blog is because it is a little bit entertaining or something. I'm kind of losing my train of thought, but I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say. So that about sums up blogging in Cabrito's world anyway.

Hey wasn't that post amazingly fun? It is like adding imagery to your writing, without having to actually write it! Perfect! Unless people start complaining I'm going to do that from now on. It will be fun, and you will love it.

Oh and that last one, the Cabrito one, was me.

P.S. The reason my picture is important is because writers think everything they write is perfect and blah blah blah that's why people should read it. So, as a writer, I feel the same way. Duh.

2 comments:

Someone who likes their sleep said...

i didn't read your post but i looked at the picture and i would just like to tell you that you are a MEGA-loser

Someone who likes their sleep said...

still haven't read it but going to comment again