Thursday, October 23, 2008

Marching Band

This year for marching band our music was from the new star wars movies. You know, the three new ones with nice special effects. Yeah. Those ones. We had a fun little medley that including the most popular music, and also music that probably had absolutely nothing to do with star wars but sounded nice on the field. Thats just my speculation, it could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there is more than one grain of truth in that statement. Probably at least three grains, but my bet is about 2 million grains. That brings up the all important question; how many grains of sand are in the ocean? Actually it doesn't bring up that question, I just thought it would be fun to put in my blog. If anybody actually can answer that question that would be totally cool though, we should set the worlds greatest minds on figuring out the answer to that question. I'm sure it would solve a whole bunch of our most pressing problems. I mean seriously, would there really be war if we knew exactly how many grains of sand there were floating or sitting in the ocean? I bet there wouldn't be! And you can't even prove me wrong because i doubt that you know the answer to that question. Thus, I have bested you, and you have lost.

I appear to be digressing from the title of this blog don't I... Back to band. Our show was pretty fun, and actually less tiring then shows in the past as far as i can remember. In the past I've practically had a hard attack because I had to play as loud as I could at the end and I had basically no air so i was squishing the life out of myself. Nearly. Back to band. We got a major confidence boost at the beginning of the year at the marshalltown competion. We took grand champion, first in our class (funny thing is we were the only band in class 4A), and all the caption awards. I'm pretty sure these included best winds, best colorguard, and something else. Maybe best drumline/percussion? Then at all our other competitions we didn't do so well. I'm speaking of the important ones: Valley and Ankeny. I mean, we did all right and we looked and sounded good, but the judges were always placing us worse than we thought we should be placed. That seems to happen a lot in life doesnt it? At Valleyfest we got sixth or seventh, and we tied with Washington. Then at Ankeny we got fourth for the fourth or fifth year in a row so it was kind of lame. Washington did not look very good and their show was super boring, the crowd almost never clapped. During our show, on the other hand, the crowd went crazy like fifteen times. Then the general affect judge kept whining about how our color guard wasn't in a good position blah blah blah. It was stupid.




This is our video from Valley. Valley has the most amazing high school stadium currently in existence. This of course is 100% true, not influenced by my opinion in any way shape or form. Its got a really good view and you can see the forms nicely (not like anyone but a marching band person would even know or care what forms in band are)

Here is a random video of Texas Tech performing Star Wars/ Trek music in the dark with light up suits or something. Pretty much way better than any high school band.

No comments: